Implementing Master Data Management to Improve Patient Matching Processes
Sagence’s Master Data Management (MDM) design and implementation provided precise patient master data resulting in more efficient business processes and capabilities at a major healthcare information management client. The MDM system leveraged consistent and accurate reporting across the business unit’s wide array of products and applications.
In preparing to automate digital information intake, our client recognized the poor data quality of their information assets and requested our help for a remedy. Structural gaps across business lines, exacerbating by poorly executed technology system changes from mergers and acquisitions, created a non-homogenous technology ecosystem negatively affecting the integrity of the underlying data.
Key master data elements needed to be isolated and defined in order to enable end-to-end digital intake. The Sagence team created the target data elements needed for a master data model using the following approach:
- Performed a use case analysis by determining the business capabilities enabled by a patient MDM solution and mapped these to the company’s products and applications.
- Decomposed complex subjects into foundational master data sets that could be consistently sourced, linked and managed.
- Defined composed master data sets using specific combinations of foundational master data sets, while establishing controlled relationships and vocabularies across systems.
- Implemented a proof-of-concept for the patient matching business capability by using the patient MDM design and the payer client’s patient data.
- Prioritized and sequenced a project plan and roadmap for the other business capabilities roll-out including; patient identifier storage and maintenance, patient book of record, patient identity management, patient relationship crosswalk (payer-patient-provider) and patient relationship longitudinal record.
Master data concepts were supported and adopted across all client systems, leading to a decrease in manual efforts and reporting errors and improved data quality and analytics. By integrating the future state MDM concepts within existing systems, the digital intake process increased operational efficiency across all client systems.